Many people love their local dollar store because it’s usually filled with great deals and, like the name, you can get most of them for 1 dollar. Surprisingly however it’s not exactly the cheapest place on all items and there are better places for bargains out there. Read below to find out some unexpected facts about the dollar store and some tips about where to sometimes find a better deal. Enjoy.
- A “shopping spree” at your local dollar store can satisfy you are urge to shop as much as a more expensive store. The way the human brain works, and the way it translates purchases into pleasure, can make a shopping spree just as satisfying at a dollar store as it would be at a much more expensive store. Psychologically a person gets a little “kick” out of every purchase that they make, no matter how large or small. The good news is that a larger number of purchases means a bigger kick.
- The dollar store isn’t always cheapest on some items. When a reporter in Idaho did some checking, she found out that 8 out of the 10 items that she bought at a local dollar store called the Dollar Tree were actually cheaper at her local grocery store. If you want to avoid paying more on things you use regularly, use any one of any number of smart phone apps to keep track of prices so that if you see one at the dollar store near you and you think it’s better priced, you can check right away to make sure.
- Brand names are actually available at the dollar store. It’s actually surprising what you can find at your local dollar store. It is not just off brand soaps and junk imported from China but rather some name brand that you would think would only be found at a “regular” store. There is one caveat however; most times you can find these brands cheaper at your local grocery store.
- Many of the “off brand” products at the dollar store are just as good as name brand. Did you know that even some wine experts have been fooled into giving better reviews on wine that has been mislabeled with fancy labels? It’s true, so don’t let brand-name labels for you into thinking that they have better products. Many times the dollar store products with minimal packaging are just as good. If one of the items you’re looking to purchase is food, simply look at the list of ingredients. You’ll find that, most of the time, off brand and name brand products contain the same ones.
- Every 6 hours a new dollar store opens. Even though “experts” predicted that dollar stores would taper off once the recession improved (has it improved?) they are still popping up like crazy all over the country.
Your local dollar store has plenty of bargains, that’s for sure. Just make sure that when you shop there you know what prices are at other stores and, just like anywhere else, make sure that you keep your budget in mind. It may be fun to shop till you drop, but just don’t destroy your budget while you’re at it.